Sunday, February 24, 2013

Salt Air & tulips in the kitchen

Salt air table runner

My Salt Air table runner has been done for awhile now, but it has taken me almost two weeks to get a decent picture of it.

Salt air table runner 2

I was grocery shopping when I realised what the problem was; the runner needed a vase of tulips to go with it :)

Salt Air table runner & tulips


I made my table runner as part of curves class taught by Rachel of Stitched in Color.  This was my first try at improv curves, and I loved it!  I will definately be doing more of this someday!

For fabric, I used a charm pack of Salt Air by Moda that I won in a giveaway from A Girl in Paradise.  The batting I pieced together from leftover scraps.  And the backing and binding I also pulled out of my stash.  I had this marbled tan-ish fabric I bought for a specific reason, but I can't remember what it was.  Obviously, I never ended up using it for that.  The right side of the fabric was too dark so I turned it over and used the backside, which was the perfect creamy off-white.  I was so happy to be able to put this project together entirely from my stash!

Salt Air table runner 3

I FMQed this quilt using Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters.  I really love this book! 
If you want to read more about the making of this table runner, and see some close-ups of the quilting, you can read {this post}.

I will be doing some linking here:
A Stitch in Time
Submarine Sunday #20
Sew Many Ways
New to Me in 2013
Quilt Story
Freemotion by the River
Better off Thread
You Flew
Made by Me
First Friday Finishes
TGIFF
Whoop Whoop Friday

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the curves. This may just be enough to make me take the plunge and get over my fear of curves.

-Bobbi

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is even more beautiful than I remember it and the tulips go perfectly :)

Adaliza said...

So, so beautiful. The tulips just add the finishing touch. Got to dash to look for that book you mentioned as I'm doing lots of experimenting with FMQ at the moment!

Carrie P. said...

So pretty and very springy! I love the Salt Air fabric. I have a little of it. Just the name can take me to the ocean.
great job quilting too.

Deborah said...

I love Salt Air and I love this!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

How gorgeous this is and just perfect with those tulips :)

Anonymous said...

Fab-u-lous! I love the fabrics you used! I'm a new follower! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

T'onna

Teje Karjalainen said...

So beautiful and adorable tulips! Great idea for curves!

Anonymous said...

lovely table runner and I am very partial to freemotion curls and swirls. Great colors too. Lovely tulips, if we don't get some sun to melt the snow here soon I may have to take up tanning. Ha ha, he have had weeks of no to very litte sun and Feb makes me long for salt air and water. :)

Carla said...

How very pretty ; )

Cindy Sharp said...

Love it....especially the tulip part!

claudia said...

Love your table runner! The tulips set it off perfectly!

Celtic Thistle said...

Congratulations on perfecting a new technique, your improv curves are just lovely!

Thanks for linking up to New to Me in 2013 too.

Cherilyn said...

Beautiful! Inprov curves look great!

Conni said...

Love the Salt Air fabric, and wow those curves look like they would be real tricky to do. I looks great!!

Samantha said...

Yay for improv. It looks beautiful and just in time for Spring.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Wow! This is so beautiful and the tulips....perfect accent! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Sue Daurio said...

The only thing better than a table runner made out of salt air, is the table runner with beautiful tulips on it. Not sure which one I like more. LOVE the table runner :)

Ali Martinez said...

I really like this cheery table runner.

Heather Feather said...

Oh those colors are beautiful! I would love to decorate my house with those colors one day! The curved seam is such a cool technique!
Thanks for linking up!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Really beautiful--and the tulips are just the finishing touch.

Julzie said...

Oooh I love that fabric and love the curved sewing, will have to see if I can find out more about that.....and the tulips go perfectly :) Linking up from Sew Cute Tuesday at Better Off Thread

MrsMcD918 said...

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful!
ali @ Forty before 40

Ana said...

Very sweet runner! Love the patchwork style.

Wendy said...

It's beautiful! I'm not a fan of Tula Pink's as I don't like the octopus and stuff that she features, but at this scale the fabrics are really lovely.

Catherine said...

It's really lovely, and your choice of fabrics is beautiful.

Paulette said...

This is so springy and pretty! Nicely done all around! I appreciate your FMQ book recommendation too. Good to know!

Ellie Q said...

Beautiful! The tulips are the perfect finishing touch. :)

M-R Charbonneau said...

The tulips showcase your runner beautifully, Allison! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! A perfect table runner for spring!

Lynette said...

Whoa - those tulips are so perfect for that runner! Absolutely gorgeous together.

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful table runner, and very unexpected! I love the curves, and oh, that fabric! I've got a jelly roll of this fabric waiting to be played with and now I'm dying to put it to use! Whoop whoop!!!

Laura said...

Amazing! Just gorgeous :) thanks for linking up

Marie said...

So pretty! And I really like the swirly quilting too!

Scot Martin said...

This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.best n stick pan without teflon