Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Hungry Caterpillar goes to Blogger's Quilt Festival


Hello!  This is my entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side.  I know I'm squeaking in at the last minute, but I've actually had a hard time writting this post.  I was putting myself to sleep :)  I'll try one more time now, with a little less blah blah blah, shall I?

This is 'The Hungry Caterplillar Quilt'  {I know, I know.  I can really pick a creative title for my quilts, can't I?}  I made this quilt for Son #3 in August of 2009, and I am so glad I wasn't lazy and put a label on this quilt, because I just had to go check it for the date *grin*

The quilt measures absurdly wide x ridiculously long.  If you aren't familiar with this standard of measurement, it converts to just a tad too small for my queen sized bed, but I bet I could make it work if I could ever wrestle it away from my son :)  {I made this quilt for his twin bed}


The pattern is my own design, a bit of simple piecing and some machine applique. 


If you aren't familiar with The Hungry Caterpillar book, the caterpillar eats a different fruit each day of the week, eating one more fruit than the day before, until on Saturday he pigs out and has a stomache ache {for the longest time, my son would beg for a stomache ache when we read that part}

I appliqued all the fruit he ate, with the days of the week, on the top of the quilt.  There was a panel that I cut up and smooshed into the top where ever it would fit.  When I had the main portion of the quilt in two pieces, top and bottom, I realized one was wider than the other.  Oops.  I added bits of the dot fabric here and there until the pieces were the same size and stitched them together.  I don't even remember where the extra bits are anymore :)

My Mom quilted it on the longarm, and as you can see she did loops around many of the motifs.  {ooh, poor caterpillar has a tummy ache :)}

 bound with the dots

I backed the quilt with the repeating stripe, but I needed a little more,so I added a strip of scraps to the side to make the backing long enough.


Thank you Library Quilting Ladies, for holding up the quilt so I could get a picture.  Because around the house, it normally looks like this

Thanks for stopping by :)

23 comments:

Norine said...

This quilt is adorable! I read this book to my son a lot. He likes to poke his fingers through the holes.

Really great job with this!

Mary Anne Drury said...

How cute and fun !!! Great job !!! (and that was one of my boys' favorite books too .... and they're both in college now (sob) - enjoy because it goes FAST !!!

notes of sincerity said...

Oh my goodness. :o)
Your quilt is so cute!!

Heidi said...

How clever made ! I really love the appliqued fruits.

Margaret said...

So Cute for a child!

Margaret
msolomo1@maine.rr.com
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Cynthia said...

Cute quilt!

Michele said...

Your post is great, so is the quilt :-) It took me forever to write my post too. I really couldn't figure out why it was so difficult for me to write. Anyway, what a clever place to take the quilt picture :-) How fun!! That quilt is just adorable :-)

stitchinpenny said...

Love the quilt. Fantastic translation of the book using the pre printed fabrics and your flair.

Debbie said...

How darling! You chose the perfect binding, too!!

Susan said...

This quilt is amazing! You are so creative and love how your mom quilted on the long arm machine. Lucky son #3! :)

Melissa said...

I love this quilt! What a great way to use these prints! Well done!

Brigitte Heitland said...

Your quilt brings this book to live, every child would love it!

Jean said...

Oh my goodness! I love this. I too am making a Hungry Caterpillar quilt but didnt go with all the fabric from the line like you have here. I absolutely love this quilt!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words
in your content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
The design and style look great though! Hope you get
the problem resolved soon. Thanks

Also visit my blog post - http://www.tedxyse.com/gafasoakley.html

Anonymous said...

I don't even know the way I ended up right here, but I believed this publish used to be good. I don't know who you're but certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

Feel free to visit my homepage :: Evgeni Malkin Authentic Jersey

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Safari, it looks
fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!

Other then that, great blog!

Look into my site :: Abercrombie France

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem.
If you have any suggestions, please share. Thank you!


My homepage: tory burch Shoes (www.ngosummit.Com)

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on
the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a
comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same
comment. Is there an easy method you are able to remove me from
that service? Thanks a lot!

Feel free to visit my web-site :: Christian Louboutin

Carpetandtextile said...

Explore the wide collection of home decor online from one of the best online shopping sites in India. and buy many products including handmade articles at reasonable price. home decor online in india

Roopantaran said...

Handmade Quilts are here available on Sale. Also, buy Block Printed Quilts from here and illustrate your living space.
Handmade quilts for sale

homeshop18 offers said...

This is very nice post.I have used <a href="http://www.mytokri.com/store/homeshop18/'>homeshop18 offers<?a> from Mytokri and its very helpful . YOu can also do the same and save

s3tkoncepts said...

Handmade Quilts are here available on Sale. Also, buy Block Printed Quilts from here and illustrate your living space.
Best Handmade quilts for sale

dealstoall .com said...

Great job for publishing such a beneficial article. Your blog information isn’t only useful but it is additionally creative with high content too. Now a days everyone looks for deal of the day products in online shopping .